Master CraftsMon

Friday, March 31, 2006

Master CraftsMon - Aired Monday, March 13, 2006 at about 11pm CST - Segment 1

Master CraftsMon - Aired Monday, March 13, 2006 at about 11pm CST
Segment 1

Well, here we are again. The whole point of this show is to involve people in social activism. I've failed in that goal. Basically I wanted to encourage people to be involved in some projects I have come up with. The problem is that idea failed... for whatever reason. It looked good on paper... Ah, well, too bad.

What needs to happen now is to get word of mouth about the show, so I can get something done. What I anticipate doing will be different than the talk shows in the past. Let's see. I could invite a guest up to the studio and in front of a live audience interview the guest and show them my side of the topic. Most talk shows do is use the audience as foils to make the host look good. I want to use the recording session of the audience participation as context. I want to give the background of the topic by interviewing the guest and elicit comments from the audience on what is accepted as the truth about a given topic. Think about it a moment. What if the two sides of the debate cannot even define a common understanding as to what is true about a topic? Without context how can you reach a consensus as to what the truth is?

At the end of the audience segment, the guest gives their initial side of the debate. I want to think about it and then record my rebuttal. Then I record my rebuttal and get that to the guest on a CD I can burn. They in turn record their rebuttal to my rebuttal. How to do that last, I am not sure. The digital recorder I have will probably do it, but I am not sure. I have the software on my computer to patch all the segments together. I can put the audience participation and all three segments of the debate together for broadcast. Once that is all done, then I will create a transcript of the three segments, put them out on my blog and get comments. If I could figure out how to get the MP3 files stored somewhere, so people could download the debates and my program, I would do that.

Let me give you an example. What if the topic is abortion? What is the truth about abortion? Is it a right that is superior to all other rights because it is so important to individual freedom? What are the arguments against that view?

If you listen to talk radio, then you know that they are there to entertain, not inform. I mean, the talk show host tries to get as much time talking as possible. The host mostly wants to count coup on his guests as do the guests want to count coup on the host.

The whole point of the audience participation is to provide context. No topic exists in a vacuum. The biggest problem as I see it is that no one is providing the background for the topics on talk shows. There is wretched little light shed on the topics of the day. Mostly there is heat and bad feelings generated.

Oh, well, that is my goal. Right now, I have to get through this particular program.

A while back, I played some songs then talked about what they meant to me in the context of a given topic.

What I'm going to do is play some classic rock songs and then discuss something dealing with them. We're going to start tonight with a rather strident song.

That was Dream On by Aerosmith

When I was growing up in the 1950's and 1960's, the accepted wisdom was that the US and the Soviet Union would inevitably have a nuclear war and civilization would have to begin again. I read a science fiction book by Andre Norton called Star Man's Son which was a post-Apocalypse story where the United States was destroyed in a nuclear war and after about two hundred years had not recovered. I read a large number of those books. All of them seemed kind of freeing. I mean, the premise was that we could start over and get it right the second time. In short, all of these stories were about rebuilding. There was hope.

Today, we are in a war with the Irreconcilables of radical Islam that will span 30-50 years. The problem most Americans have is that they do not realize that the Irreconcilables may win their jihad. If they do, the new Caliphate will come about and our country will be submerged into their dreams of global Islamic domination. The world they promise is not an appealing one to me. The dreams of the Irreconcilables center around forcing all the people of the earth to acknowledge that Islam is the One True Path and that Muslims are superior to all other people on earth. Their dreams are strident and twisted. The problem then becomes that a good number of the Muslims outside the United States, believe that the goals of radical Islam are at least something to consider.

The response of the United States public has been kind of lukewarm to the war on Terror. The anti-war people have been incensed that they can't get too many of the American public worked up over the war. Because our day-to-day lives have not been really impacted, we are in the situation of Americans in January and February of 1941. World War II was unreal. The real fighting had not occurred as yet.

Today, we are in the same situation. It has been almost five years since 9/11. No other major terrorist attack has taken place in America. There have been terrorist attacks in Madrid and London, but not here. Our economy has recovered and is moving ahead. Even the expense of rebuilding Iraq is not a great burden on us.

Too many people on the Left have been making all kinds of weird points that boil down to militant passificism. What is really strange is that too many on the Right have become impatient and want this bother to be over. The Cartoon Jihad has caused some people to make the final jump to realizing that Islam is not going to go away. The Irreconcilables will not be placated.

Recall the words from Thomas Paine:
"These are the times that try men's souls:

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, Shrink from the service of his country, but he that stands it NOW,

Deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; Yet we have this consolation with us. That the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly:--

'Tis dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to set a proper price upon its goods; And it would be strange indeed, if so celestial an article

As FREEDOM should not be highly rated."
We live in interesting times. Pray that we survive them as we survived the Cold War.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home