Master CraftsMon

Thursday, December 29, 2005

The Computer Came Back. Disaster Averted.

My computer has a CD-RW which means that I can burn CD's. I need that to do Progressive Radio disks and to do a backup of some of the audio files that are taking up a huge amount of disk space. The burner portion of the drive does not work. Or it doesn't work for me. I took my computer over to MicroAge on Tuesday to get the thing fixed. Wednesday evening I got a call from MicroAge. The drive worked great for the tech in a set of software that came with the drive called Nero. I had tried Nero. It had not worked for me. I told him that RealPlayer and Easy CD were the software I had tried and neither could recognize the drive as CD-RW. The tech just called and the computer is now ready. RealPlayer works, but Easy CD does not. I'll dump Roxio and use Nero. I now have to get a ride over there and take care of this.

I have been using a backup computer I pulled out of a closet. It has a bad CMOS battery. I'm not sure I care. I have been debating just giving it up. It kind of irritates me that the software I use most often seems to run faster on this one than on the newer one. The older computer uses Windows NT and I must say that Windows NT seems saner than Windows 98.

It's been kind of tough not having Internet access. I started rereading a book by S.M. Sterling called Island in the Sea of Time. It's a series of books about an entire island, Nantucket, moving back in time to 1250BC. It's very well done.

Monday I did Afternoon Musica in a strange frame of mind. I did an all cassette version of the show. It took more than the cassettes I had put aside. A two hour show normally takes 24 tracks. Three of the tracks I had set aside to play were bad, so I was left with playing some of my CD's. It seemed to take forever to cue up each cassette. I got it done before I had to start. The playlist for Afternoon Musica on Monday, December 26, 2005 was:

Artist or Band[Song]
The Cars[Tonight She Comes]
Ronnie Milsap[I Wouldn't Have Missed It for the World]
Prince[PartyUp]
Jimi Hendrix[Castles Made of Sand]
Ski Row[Big Guns]
.38 Special[Caught Up In You]
Alice Cooper[School's Out]
Rod Stewart[Maggie May]
Billy Squier[All Night Long]
Led Zepplin[Immigrants Song]
Duran Duran[Is There Something I should Know?]
Def Leppard[Billy's Got a Gun]
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band[Modern Romance]
Linda Ronstadt[Trouble Again]
Ozzy Ozbourne[Changes]
Maddonna[Cherish]
The Black Crowes[Darling of the Underground Press]
Robert Plant[Tall Cool One]
The Doors[Break on Through to the Other Side]
Joe Croce[Bad Bad Leroy Brown]
N2Deep[Back to the Hotel]
Lynyrd Skynyrd[Down South Junkin']
Faith NoMore[From Out of Nowhere]
Paul Simon[You Can Call Me Al]

I reviewed a CD by Rosanne Cash that said it was from 2001. The copyright was from 2005. What irritated me was that I did not think it was such a great album. I mean Roseanne Cash is big, yet I did not much like the album. That means to me that I am hopeless as far as music.

After the show ended, I went through and put up the tapes up and re-arranged them to be easier to work with for next Monday.

I got home and finished up the script for the Master CraftsMon. I was unable to burn the CD for Progressive Radio. I just could not get up enough energy to go onto campus and use their CD burner.

I got to the station about 10:30pm and started to wait for the woman before me to finish up. She kind of irritates me because she takes so long to clear out between shows. She commented that she was impressed that I had gotten the cassettes to cue up so quickly (there is only one cassette player). I pointed out that I had cued them up before the program. To pass the time, I started reviewing another CD album from 2004.

When the woman before me finally cleared out. I started my show. Getting things going when there's a lot of clutter around you is always a hassle. I may just play music next week until she is gone. The problem I have here is that if she knows she has to leave at 11pm, why doesn't she start clearing out before then? Not my business really. I decided that it wasn't worth arguing about.

By the way everything irritates me at this time of year. It's the lack of sun. I have always had problems this time of year. Some years worse than others.

The program went okay. I said everything I was going to say and left.

Tuesday, I spent all morning messing around. I got Progressive Radio burned and the jewel case picture to come out okay. It was a hassle, though because WordPerfect refused to print the jewel case picture twice. I finally had to reboot to get it to come out right.

Before Kiwanis I went over to the station and dropped off the CD for Progressive Radio.

At Kiwanis on Tuesday, a chiropractor made the case that transfats are the cause of the increase in heart disease and cancer in this country, since 1910. I believe his assertions. I am unsure how to implement a healthier diet. He said that coconut oil is better for cooking because it does not have transfats. The problem with transfats is that they injure the insides of your arteries. I have got to say that he made a good case. Starting January 1, transfats have to be listed. I believe that they should be zero not lower. As in we should dispense with transfats completely.

After the Kiwanis meeting, I went home and messed around waiting for my ride to take me over to drop off the computer at MicroAge. When they arrived, I got the computer over there and left it.

I came home and took a nap. After I got up, I reread a book called Do-Gooders. The tone was too strident for me. I discovered that the computer seems to take up too much of my life, because the time seemed to drag without the computer.

Wednesday, I arrived at the station and started messing around verifying that the frequencies were correct and the tapes were in place. I did not have a script to work from. You would not think you would need a script for a music show, but I have all my notes about which program goes on next and which CD needed to be loaded at a given time. World Café had been recorded on a tape that I was unfamiliar with. I couldn't find the old one. There was a knock at the door. It was th guy who'd called on Monday. I had him follow me around as I checked on things. Then I went through and told him about what I had discovered about the Board and other things. We spent Music in the Morning with him kind of watching and me kind of showing him things I had found out. Friday, if he shows up, I will have him do the show. The phone rang twice. He answered it both times. He told me what the second person said, but not the first. I was going to wait him out. He outwaited me. I wonder what it was
about, but do not care enough to ask.

The playlist for Music in the Morning on Wednesday, December 28, was:
Artist or Band[Song]Name of CD
Dan Milner[Row, Bullies, Row]Irish Ballads&Song of the Sea
John McCusker[Boys of the Puddle]Heat the Hoose 2
Dick Gaughan[No Gods and Precious Few Heroes]Scotland
Phil Murphy[The Wexford Hornpipe]Come Dance with me in Ireland
Noel McLoughlin&Denis Carey[The Minstrel's Lament]Ireland the Music
Packie Duighan[The House on the Hill]Irish Traditional Music
Sean Keane[The Golden Keyboard]Green Linnet Records/The 20th
Tony Elis&Debbie Norris[Snowdrop]Gaelic Roots
Antoin MacGahhann[Hand Me Down the Tackle]Best of Traditional Music&Ballads from Ireland
Leo Rowsome[The Snowy Brested Pearl]The Gentlemen Pipers
D. McKinnon[The Bonawe Highlanders]Birlin' Fiddlers
Robert Wallace[The Barlinie Highlander]The Great Highland Bagpipe
Tannas[Si Morag]Live from the Lemon Tree-Northern Lights
Maria O'Bryan Alexander&Mary Thompson[Nora]A Celebration the Irish Harp
Frank Murphy[The Mason Apron]Ballinshoe Fair
Francie Byrne[Bag Pipe March]The Brass Fiddle; Traditional Fiddle Music
Mairie MacInnes[Calum Sgaire]Gaelic Women (Our Language and Our Music)
Kinnon&Betty Beaton[Mabou Hall Dance]The Heart of Cape Breton
Sinead O'Connor[He Moved Through the Fair]Faire Celts
Grampian Police Pipe Band[Battle of Somme]The Best of Scottish Pipes and Drums
John Doherty[Roaring Mary]Treasure of My Heart
St. Laurence O'Toole Pipe Band Quartet[The Banks of the Lee]Second Grand Concert of Piping
Ann Mulqueen[A Chomaraigh Aobhina]20 Famous Irish Ballads
Dolores Keane[Have I Told You Lately]Mighty Session
Al Petteway[Wild Mountain Thyme]Celtic Mist
Davie Paton[Bonny Blue Bonnets]Fragments
Jackie Daly[Trip to the Jacks]The Rushy Mountain
Flogging Molly[The Seven Deadly Sins]Within a Mile of Home

There were four more tracks than I had anticipated playing.

When I got home, I puttered around and worked on this and that on the old computer. I wanted to see whether there was anything on the old one that I needed on th new one. Besides Windows NT, I do not see anything worth keeping. I decided to finish the first chapter of The Deprived. Then I discovered that the A-drive was not registering because the CMOS was dead. I rebooted and got the A-drive registered and added the file to it.

Thursday, this morning, MicroAge called and I went over and got the computer. I am typing on it now. $129. I could have bought a new external CD-RW for that and been served better. In short, when my old CD-RW died, I should have bought an external USB CD-RW and been done with it. As it is, I spent $34 for the drive, $40 to install, and $129 to repair. I know for a fact that external CD-RW's are going for less than that.

Ah, well, I have said enough. Tomorrow or the next day, I shall return.

1 Comments:

  • Hello from Las Vegas. I was doing research on deep cycle battery and came across your site aRandomTexan. The title The Computer Came Back. Disaster Averted. attracked me. This is good reading, I'll pass it on to my girlfriend. She likes this kind of stuff. If you or any of your readers can help or offer information on deep cycle battery let me know. Glad I ran into your inspiration. I like to read blogs for creative ideas and themes. I get a lot of good ideas for acting. Thanks again for your time. Keep it up.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, January 06, 2006 11:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home