Master CraftsMon

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Sunday was about Writing, Monday was about Sloth, Tuesday was about Kiwanis and Wednesday was about nothing

I spent all day Sunday writing up ideas for social change for broadcast on Monday. Basically it was a waste of time.

Monday, I finished up the script for Monday night. I kept thinking that Progressive Radio would be ready for download. It wasn't before I had to leave for the station.

When I got to KEOS, I did all the stuff necessary to get ready by pulling vinyl records and then I decided to play some cassettes. My thinking was that if you are going to play classic rock you should play it from the original media. The playlist for Afternoon Musica for Monday, December 19, 2005 was:
Artist or Band[Song]Name of CD
Chicago[Good For Nothing]
Whitney Houston[Thinking About You]
Tina Turner[Total Control]
The Cars[Drive]
Kenny Rogers[A Little More Love]
Jefferson Airplanes[White Rabbit]
Free[All Right Now]
The Alan Parsons Project[Eye in The Sky]
Steve Perry[If Only for the Moment, Girl]
Ted Nugent[Lean, Mean, Rock and Roll Machine]
The Pointer Sisters[Just a Little Closer]
Fleetwood Mac[Dreams]
Bruce Springsting&The E Street Band[Trapped]
John Cougar[Hurst So Good]
Sister Sledge[You're a Friend of Mine]
Genesis[Just a Job to Do]
Bryan Adams[She's Only Happy When She's Dancin']
Scorpions[Can't Live Without You]
Starship[We Built This City]
Bachman-Turner Overdrive[Stayed Awake All Night]
Hall&Oates[private Eyes]
Bob Marley&The Wailers[No Woman, No Cry]
Atlanta Rhythm Section[Free Spirit]

I made a silly comment that none of my audience knew what cassettes were. I described them as boxes about 3"X4" with tapes in them. Making the point that people were so used to CD's they did not know what cassettes were.

I ran out of cassettes and started playing some of my CD's. One of the other volunteers heard my comment and brought in this huge supply of cassettes. Some of the cassettes were in busted up plastic boxes, so he did a mix and match. He handed me a cassette with Bob Marley and the Wailer. I played No Woman, No Cry from the cassette. Next Monday, I shall use many of these cassettes. I'm tired of vinyl. Ah, but cassettes are so hard to cue up. But then so is vinyl.

I went home afterwards and downloaded Progressive Radio, found the cover of the album being discussed and pasted it onto the jewel case cover graphic. The interview was with Dar Williams. I played her The Christians and the Pagans song a while back. I should have written some more for the show at 11pm, but it all seemed so pointless.

All during Monday, I was upset with the lack of response to my show. The lack of it. Yeah. My fault. I won't do the job of advertising it. Well, that's the way it goes.

I messed around from 5-10pm. I spent some time doing a tutorial for mentoring. In it I went over all the idiosyncracies of the board and the various pieces of equipment in the station including the satellites and rewinder in the back room.

I got up to the station about 10pm, much crest fallen. It is turning into a waste of time.

The show went short. Whereas I went 20 minutes over on the first and was under on the second and hit the two hour mark on the third, this time it was under again. I did not care. I need to spend an entire show on each one of the segments I have put out there.

It was not as cold as I thought it was be going home. I crashed. I was so upset with the way things are going.

If you are reading this, you should know that I have the problem many whose ancestors are from northern Europe. The lack of light this time of year causes depression. I've always had to fight that. I lost a marriage because of such a depression.

Tuesday I went to my Kiwanis Club. On the way my ride and I dropped off the orange vests at Public Works. The speaker was Baptist minister. He did a sermon lite. He addressed an issue I had covered the night before: The War on Christmas. Political Correctness almost eradicated the greeting Merry Christmas. Too bad, the backlash has started. After the meeting, I complimented the minister on his "sermon".

The people who take me to and from Kiwanis have their daughter down for Christmas. She said she disagreed with the concept of "Merry Christmas". It started me thinking about many things. There was an article in the Wall Street Journal Editorial Page where the author Robert J. Toth made the point that friendships should not be sundered over politics. I'm going to have to think on that. I've made the point before that political discourse has become rancid in this country and is getting worse as the Liberals try to decide whether they want to compromise. I have been unable to understand that. Both groups have to live in the same country. If the Left would just come up with something that could work in the real world we could debate and come to a compromise. I don't see that happening. Plus I do not see the Right coming up with policy statements that can supplant the policies of the Left.

All during the Monday through Wednesday period I have been trying to resolve a data base question. A set of Chinese data bases was shipped to a professor at A&M along with a set of software to access the data bases. The software was using a SQL technique to extract the data. I thought there was a chance that SQL was also a standardized data format that I was not aware of. In SAS, there is a PROC SQL routine to deal with... something. I do not know what. I read the online documentation and could not find a SQL format for a data base. I asked the principle author what was going on. She passed me to the source of the data bases. I asked her how she had accessed the data bases using SQL. She said that she had NOT accessed the data bases. In fact she had not checked the software that she had sent with the data bases. I wanted to scream WHAT!?, but I was not talking to her on the telephone. So I asked her to install the software, open a data base and tell me how she did it, because none of the other three people on the project had been able to do that simple task. She has not gotten back to me.

The guy from Crete sent me email with the writeup on his songs. I am not sure I want to listen to them. We shall see.

I finished up the tutorial file for the mentoring. I posted a notice that I was available for mentoring. I have gotten only one nibble. I surely want MANY people to get through training and find inner peace... get there own show.

Wednesday morning came too early. I got to the station today and put in the first two VHS tapes. Then I went through and pulled some Celtic music for the show today. I found a couple of new CD's on the review shelf and included them. Then I pulled all the Celtic music from the regular rotation shelf and went on. The show was okay. I only screwed up a few times. I took some glue to fix a set of earphones. Like an idiot, I then dropped them after gluing them. I am not sure Elmers is up to gluing these earphones. The playlist for Wednesday, December 21, 2005 on Morning Air was:
Artist or Band[Song]Name of CD
Cahal Dunne990000;">[Scottish Soldier]Shamrock&Heather
Aine Minogue[Song of the Banshee]Celtic Lamentations
The Churn[Nonesuch]Big Buttah
Cherish the Ladies[Fair and Tender Ladies]Women in the House
Serious Kitchen[Young Hunting]Tig
John McCusker[The Cake Maker's Wife]Goodnight Ginger
The Muses[The Briar and the Rose]Tramps and Hawkers
Flogging Molly[With a Wonder and a Wild Desire]Within a Mile of Home
Bonnie Carol[The Tree Song]Finger Dances for the Dulcimer
Battlefield Band[The Braidwood Waits]Magic and Mystery
Dan Air Pipe Band[Highland Wedding]Pipes and Drums of Scotland
Bachme[Birken Tree]Auld Lang Syne
Alison Kinnaird&Christine Primrose[The Harper in the Bog]Scottish Harp
Jock Tamson's Bairns[Gude Calret]The Best of Scottish Music - Vol 2
Hamish Moore[Set of Tunes]The Music and Song of Greentrax
Cho Lar Chonnacta[The Tattie Ball]The Real Reels of Ireland
Maighread Ni Dhomhnaill[Martha, The Flower of Sweet Strabane]Voices of Celtic Women Vol 2
Gene Kelly[Money Musk]Traditional Irish Music in America
Connie Dover[Laddie, Lie Near Me]Heart of the Celts
Aly Bain/Alison Kinnaird[Chapel Keithback]Harps, Pipes and Fiddles
Dolly McMahon[Love is a Teasing]Wedding and Love Songs

For a wonder I got World Café and BBC News to synchronize very well today. Normally they are two or more seconds out of synch.

I bought some sandwiches and cookies at Albertsons and came home.

The sandwiches were great. The cookies better. I took a nap and got up and read some political blogs. Now I seem to be caught up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home