Master CraftsMon

Friday, December 02, 2005

The Dark Prince: Wednesday I Found that I was Mistaken About John J. Pershing's Nickname

Wednesday I ran up to the library and checked up on something I had been worrying about for a while. In Chapter 61, paragraph 3614, I say:

Deep into the fourth game, I said, "The only Whites I see up there are Nigger Jack Pershing and that scumsucking pig Bill Clinton." The crowd got mad that time. I sank another impossible shot. "You know, Pershing chose the Buffalo Soldiers, because he wanted to be with the best soldiers in the United States Army. Wilson and his cronies forced him to change his nickname to 'Black' instead of 'Nigger'. It hurt him to do it, but World War I was important and he wanted to be in charge to save American lives. He felt he was the most experienced general officer. He was sure he could minimize casualties. He did his best, and it made a difference." The game ended with my win. I hadn't missed any shots. In the fifth game I said, "Bill Clinton did nothing for anyone, but Bill Clinton. I can't understand why he is on the wall with all these honorable men."

Dr. Frank Vandiver wrote a book on Pershing called Black Jack: The Life and Times of John J. Pershing. In it Dr. Vandiver makes the point that Pershing was given the opportunity to go to the Buffalo Soldiers, 10th Calvary, but did not seek it out, nor was he much enthused about the appointment even though it meant that he would move up to full Lieutenant. Also it says that his nickname of Nigger Jack was given to him by Whites at West Point because he drove them to perform at higher level than they wanted to work.

Should the passage above change or be left as is? J.J. in the book is said to have eidetic memory. Would his Memory not have alerted him to the mistake he was making? Or does the passage make the point that Pershing was honorable and Clinton was not more effectively asis? In a work of fiction, how much Truth should there be?

I spoke with Dr. Vandiver years ago. He struck me as a very Godly man. The book seems kind of strange in that he makes Pershing seem callow even into his late 30's. I was unaware that Pershing did not achieve high rank very quickly. He was a Lieutenant at 38 which seems kind of old, but times were different then.

Pershing had a high opinion of the Buffalo Soldiers and tried to make that clear to his contemporaries. In book three about the Dark Prince, The Deprived,I am planning on having J.J. make a presentation to his class dressed up as Pershing for February, Black History Month, 2005. It should be a fun scene to write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home