Master CraftsMon

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Master CraftsMon - Aired Monday, December 19, 2005 at about 11pm CST - Segment 1

Master CraftsMon - Aired Monday, December 19, 2005 at about 11pm CST
Segment 1

Well, here we are. A month has passed and no one appears to be out there listening to me. The reason I say that is that no one has gone to my blog and made a post. It thus follows that I am alone right now. Or rather it is the classic question, "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound." The answer is of course that it makes a sound, but nothing is affected by that sound. So it is with my being here. If no one cares enough to become involved in my project for social change, then it is as if I am talking to myself.

I thought that my arguments would cause people to tell their friends about the project and I would get a blog swarm. That surely did not happen. Oh, woe is me. Oh, woe... Oh, woe... I know that's silliness.

A month ago, I read a section of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain on the first show. Unlike Tom Sawyer I wanted to ask people to volunteer to do something for the community using the tag line of "Come on, help me whitewash this fence."

Nothing has happened so far, because KEOS has so few listeners and I have not advertised real well. My fault not anyone else's, because I have always had this problem with starting things. After something gets started, I never have a problem keeping things going, but starting things... that IS a problem for me.

Our country is going through a period where we ask some deep questions about what America is, what it could be, should be and will be. The Depression affected all of us, because it was the first time in American history where the government tried to forge tools to affect the economy, to affect positive social change. The Depression ended about 1947, when the government stopped interfering in the economy as much as it had been. Ronald Reagan throughout the 1950's toured California and other parts of the U.S. speaking to people. He slowly came to the realization that the government was the problem, not the answer. Democratic Party left him. He did not leave the Democratic Party.

The shadow of the Depression hangs over all of us. The perceived wisdom is that Franklin Delano Roosevelt saved capitalism from itself. The perceived wisdom is that whenever there is a social problem, all we have to do is generate a government program and the problem will be handled. Whatever the problem, the government is the solution. The people of America have decided that the government is NOT the solution, but they have not decided what the alternative is. What I am getting at is that the Left has a set of tools and the Right does not. People want social problems handled, so they're willing to allow the Left to continue to dictate social policy, because they at least have something on the table... even though the tools have been proven not to work.

In order for the Right to rule this country they have to come up with something that actually works better than the tools FDR forged for the government. At the present moment there is nothing out there like that.

The biggest problem the Left has run into in its rush to use the government to affect positive social change is that the source of our social woes is not society as a whole. Are you getting this? People on the Left say that society is the problem. That's crazy. It's failure on the individual level that is the source of social problems. We keep thinking that if we change the society, then the individuals will change and that doesn't work. If we continue to ignore this obvious fact, then we can't make positive social change.

And the Right has pretty much wants to force people to take care of themselves with no help at all.

Ah, well, as I said no one is listening, so it really doesn't matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home