Master CraftsMon

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Exremely Long Day at KEOS

Yesterday, Friday, December 2, 2005

I got to KEOS at about 8:30am. The guy before me at the consol was hopping mad. A little doggie had pooped on the floor of the studio. It seems that KEOS has a spot each week where the Brazos Animal Shelter brings in an animal and talks on the air. So while the guy was on the air the person from the animal shelter let the dog out and he defecated right there on the floor of the studio. By the time I had gotten there, the fella had washed it and done all manner of cleanup. His beef with the woman from the animal shelter was that she should have let the doggie outside while she waited for her spot on the air. She had waited for a half hour.

As a final touch the guy lit this scented candle to cover up any residual smell and went home. After he left I checked everything out and blew out the candle, the cleanup and rug deodorant had done the job, why keep a candle going? Besides I was kind of frightened that the scented candle would make me ill. That happened once. I had to dump the candle in the trash that time. Weird. This time, I just put the candle back where it normally sets and went on.

I did the top of the hour Legal ID and put on Democracy Now! Damn, those people are angry about... too many things. I wish they'd get a life. If there was ever an organization that could be characterized as filled with barking moonbats, it's Democracy Now! I wish they'd use all that passion more constructively. Tearing down America and viewing with alarm is a stupid way of spending your time. Hypersensitivity carried to an extreme is just silly.

At 9:20, I did my plea for trainees. I do that each Wednesday and Friday on Democracy Now!, because it is one of the most listened to shows on KEOS. That tells you nothing, because KEOS has no idea of how many people are listening. KEOS cannot afford to do any real research. Anyway. I asked people to come on down and get trained and take up a show. I am very selfish of course, because I need someone to take over from me. We've had less than ten trainees get through the training program since June. You might say with fear and awe, "DAMN! THAT MUST BE A REALLY HARD TRAINING PROGRAM." Hah! It's an interview, fourteen visits to the station and an oral test. Anyone who can't pass is too stupid to live.

I started Morning Air at 10am. I've decided that Fridays at this slot are Blues and Jazz. KEOS gets in lots of CD's from companies that want their artists played. The latest rotation is on the shelf behind me as I sit at the consol. I just take down the CD's and play cuts from them. Whatever looks interesting as far as title. Sometimes I look at the comments and see whether a given CD has a track someone likes. I try for half Blues and half Jazz. New Jazz does not show up much at KEOS. Don't know why. I had to go back and get 12 or so CD's. A two hour stretch of time normally consumes 24 tracks from 24 CD's. Sometimes less, sometimes a bit more. Here is the play list for Friday:
Artist or Band[Song]Name of CD
Kate McGarry [Trouble of the World ]Mercy Streets
Ponty Bone [Flat Town Boogie ]Dig Us on the Road Somewhere
Ismael Reinhart [You Must Believe in Spring ]Gypsy Swing II
Clarinet Thing [Memorie of You ]Agony Pipes&Misery Sticks
David Holt&Same Bush [Steel Guitar Blues ]Let It Slide
Michael B. Sutton [Feelin' Down ]Hopeless Romantic
Stanley Smith [Bluesy Little Tune ]In the Land of Dreams
Hound Dog Taylor [What'd I Say ]Release the Hound
Free Base Cartel [Stolen Moments ]The FBC
Pat Boone [No More Mr. Nice Guy ]In a Metal Mood
Larry Goldings [Strays ]Awareness
Guy Forsyth [Patient's Blues ]Love Songs: For and Against
John Cleary [Best Ain't Good Enff ]Pin Your Spin
Steve Hass [Skylark ]Traveler
Mylab [Land Trust Picnic ]Mylab
Kelly Doze [Dancin' ]Kelly Doze
Jeff Chaz [Humidity ]Cookin' in Old Grease
Roxy Parry [Crooked Path ]Back to Bluesville
Colin Linden [Blind River Bound ]Big Mouth
Murry Woods [Lies ]Murry Woods&Tangled Blue II
George Winston [Cast Your Face to the Wind ]Linus&Lucy: The Music of Vince Guaraldi
Ray Bonneville [Oxford Town ]Roll it Down
Four Play [Chant ]The Best of Four Play

Some comments here are in order. I'm not much on music. I never wanted to do ANY music shows on KEOS. I was honorable about that. I told everyone who would listen that I wanted an experimental talk radio show. These music shows I am doing are just the cost of doing business for me. When I was growing up, we had a Victrola in my home. Like a great many machines in my house it did not work. My father was never very good at fixing things. I took band in high school. I played the cornet, but I wasn't any good. I have a small appreciation of music because of that. The problem is that I do not know much about the various musical genres. The above choices were almost random.

The Pat Boone song is silly to me. My God, Pat Boone as a badass is too weird. It's almost as ludicrous as Michael Jackson as a badass.

Cast Your Face to the Wind is the theme for Linus on the Peanuts shows. George Winston did a pretty good job playing it. Ah, who am I to say?

Guy Forsyth showed up and did a live set here at KEOS. We were a bit weirded out that he would consent to do that because he is national known.

At noon, I put on World Café and switched to BBC News and went off to put up the Jazz CD's. The idea is that at the top of the hour, I have to play a minute of World Café and then five minutes of BBC Headline News, then go back to the World Café. Like an idiot, I did not watch the time. The station engineer called at 1206:40 and complained about that I had not done the switch back to World Café. Yes, you heard me, he called 40 seconds after I was supposed to make the changeover. I screwed up, but I wonder sometimes at the guy. Ah, I did make a mistake and I did deserve the phone call.

I finished up shelving the Jazz pieces and went over and got some chicken at Albertsons. Not as good as KFC, but Albertsons is close and their chicken isn't too bad. I spent the time until 2pm, my next show, reviewing CD's for FCC violations. I normally put down what the song is about so some music host who has to play it can get an idea at a glance whether it fits a given slot in their program. Unlike me some people plot out their shows based on mood and such. The CD's I review are a year old and normally suck. I mean, if a CD has sat on the shelf for a year or more then no one has heard of the artist or band or... God knows. I just take up the ones no one wants and listen to them and make comments. Most of them are high whiny voiced singer/songwriter CD's. I had brought my tea from home. I just sat there going through one of them.

When I started at KEOS, I found some CD's that had sat on the shelf for over six years awaiting review. I went through all the back CD's stopping with the CD's that had arrived by January, 2004. I must have listened to 100 or so of these horrid CD's and turned them in during the Fall of 2004 and early Spring of 2005. Each CD has to be reviewed, because some artists lie about the lyrics in the liners... God knows why. A couple I refused to review. One was a rounds extravaganza. There must have been 48 rounds songs on it. What? You never did rounds? Row! Row! Row your boat. Gently down the stream. No way. That one was from 1998 and it can sit there until hell freezes over and I could care less. Another was a dark metal band that was mostly guttural... sounds. I assume they wanted to sound like the Catholic version of demons. I couldn't understand what they were saying, so how could I test them for FCC violations. Another one had 24 cowboy songs covering the 1800-1860 period. God, that's a lot of cowboy songs. It arrived in ca 2000. I hope the dust bunnies like it.

I was right in the middle of listening to this whiny singer/song writer spout unintelligible, beatnik sounding poetry set to music when I realized that I had not gotten ready for the next show at 2pm. I got all the current Celtic music from the studio shelf to fill the 2-4pm slot. I needed some extras from the shelves in the library, so I went back and randomly picked a set of CD's. Well, not quite. I like Heather Alexander and Davie Paton, so I got some of theirs. I started the set with some of my cousin's dulcimer music. I played a cut from each of the three CD's of hers I have. Probably an FCC violation. I mean, playing a relative's music because you like it is probably against the law. The show went. The play list is:
Artist or Band[Song]Name of CD
Bonnie Carol [King of Fairies] Celtic Caribe
Cherish the Ladies [Paddy O'Snap] Woman of the House
Serious Kitchen [Escargot] Tig
Brobdingnagian Bards [Lilly the Pink] Brobdingnagian Fairy Tales
Flogging Molly [Tomorrow Comes a Day Too Soon] Within a Mile of Home
John McCusker [Wabazi Heaven] Goodnight Ginger
The Muses [Leatherwing Bat] Tramps&Hawkers
The Churn [Say Old Man...] Big Buttah
Bonnie Carol [Red Haired Boy] Finger Dancing for Dulcimer
Heather Alexander [The Star of the May Morning] A Gypsy's Home
Joseph Sobol [Have a Drink With Me] Citternalia: Celtic Musis for Cittern
Bonnie Rideout [Tunes from the Western Isles] Kindred Spirits
Sue Richards [Brian Boru] Hazel Grove
Tracy Sands w/Rod MacDonald [The Hustle&Bustle of the City Life] Voice of the Line
Whistlebinkies [John Roy Stewart] Timber Timbre
Clandestine [The Jigs from Hell] The Haunting
Davie Paton [The Bonnie Blue Bonnets] Fragments
Patrick Ball [The Twisting of the Rope] Celtic Harp
Bonnie Carol [Ship of the Clouds] Laughing Willow
Paul Mounsey [Work Song] City of Walls
Aine Minogue [Peace] Between the Worlds
Robin Laing [Icarus] Edinburgh Skyine
Semus Kennedy [A Walk in the Irish Rain] Let the Music Take You Home
Keven MacLeod&Alec Finn [Miss Hamilton] Pobain to Oranmore
Davie Paton [Fallin'] Fragments
Heather Alexander [Storyteller] Wanderlust
Brobdingnagian Bards [None but a Harper] Brobdingnagian Fairy Tales

After finishing up with the music show, I run Counterspin, another show centered on the premise of We hate America as it is. They seem to sympathize with the psychopaths in Guantanamo rather than the poor Iraqis and Afghanistanis who were their victims. In between putting on these shows, I reviewed two or three more CD's. There was a couple of comedy CD's by Carla Ulrich that were funny. She can sing I suppose, but the albums I heard were not about singing. They were about having a good time on stage.

One of the other volunteers came by and made a hard sell on going to the station party. I didn't have the address. Parties are not my thing, but I agreed to go if she got me the address. She called and... I wrote down the wrong address. Stuff happens.

7pm came and I was relieved. I ran Touchtone and Jim Hightowere. I left everything there at the station, because I could not decide how to cart my stuff into the middle of the party and back.

The party wasn't too bad. The address was a few houses off, but the band announced something about KEOS, so I came back to the right house after missing it on the first pass. Had a good talk with a guy from India. I had always wondered why the Indian music had so many soprano female voices singing in falsetto. I thought it might be traditional or something. The guy's wife said it was because of Ballywood, India's bigger and maybe better version of Hollywood. The films have male singers down low and the females have to sing high to be heard. Weird concept to me. The master craftsman sound man was there. He had his gall bladder removed. I was happy to see him up and around.

I talked to a few people, had some food and came home. I stopped the station on the way back and picked up my stuff. It was a long way home at 9pm at night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home